Becoming a Panoramio translator
We always need more help with translation! If you are interested, we'd appreciate your help in bringing Panoramio to more people.
Follow these instructions:
- Download the translation file for your language from the list below.
- Read the instructions about how to work with the translation file later in this page. If you're updating a language, be sure to download the latest copy of the language file!
- Send the translated file to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Visit the translator forum for help and updates. You will also find there the up to date status of the translation files, and how well your language ranks in comparison with the rest of the languages translated in Panoramio
When you submit a translation, you'll be mentioned on the Panoramio team page and will have unlimited bragging rights!
If your language is not listed above, please download the English file and modify the plural parameters for your language.
To open translation files (.po) you need an editor; you can use, for instance Poedit. You can download Poedit and install it in your computer.
Instructions for Poedit:
- Open the translation file with Poedit
- Translate the file. Write the translation in the bottom-left window
- Send the translated file to email@example.com
- Translation status for each sentence is indicated by color in Poedit: blue means not translated, white means translated and yellow means "fuzzy" translation. Fuzzy means that there is a translation for that entry or the system tried to figure out one, but you need to check it manually before it is used. Once you correct it, it changes to white color (translated). In some cases the fuzzy translation is completely Ok and doesn't need to be changed, then just click on the "rain" icon in the toolbar and it will change to white (translated)
- Don't translate the placeholders (%d, %s, %.0f, ...), just leave them in the position it makes sense for the translation
- If you get an error message when you save Poedit, please check out the details of the error and correct the indicated lines before sending the file