The architect Alfred Harold Honikman (1910-2009) went as a child to the Tamboers Kloof Preparatory School in Belle Ombre Road, off Kloof Nek Road, within walking distance (about half a mile) from home. The architects Herbert Black (1875-1937) & William George Fagg (1867-1938) designed in 1904 a new house for the family Honikman in 2 Kloof Road, cnr. Tamboers Kloof (demolished). The house was called "Epherton" in honor of grandfather Ephraim Honikman, born near Warsaw in Poland. That was the family home for 15 years. In 1920 they moved to a house called "Longwood" (now "Rutland Lodge"), designed bij the famous architect Sir Herbert Baker (1862-1946); "Longwood" was a prototype of Cape-Dutch architecture. The architects Charles Percival Walgate (1886-1972) and Lancelot Andrew Elsworth (1891-1971), representatives of architect Sir Herbert Baker in the Cape modernised this house. The property had a frontage on Montrose Avenue, Forest Road and Hilton Road in Oranjezicht.
Lit.: "Almost a century" by Alfred Harold Honikman; Dog Ear Publishing, Indianapolis USA 2007 (ISBN 978 159858 388 5), page 4 and 18-22.
Architect Alfred Harold Honikman (1910-2009), buried Santa Barbara Cemetery, California, USA, designed "Vredefort" 269 Beach Road, Sea Point for Charlie Lipschitz, "Norfolk House", 219 Beach Road, Sea Point in Cape Town, "Edingight" Flat, Queen Road-Duke Road-Gatley Road in Rondebosch, "Kenmain Gardens", Main Road cnr. Myrtle Road in Kenilworth Cape Town, a Bus Depot for the Golden Arrow Bus Company (now Sportmans Wharehouse close to the Red Cross War Memorial Children's Hospital) on Klipfontein Road , Mowbray (the Charman of the Bus Company was Mr. Pasvolsky), three houses in Oranjezicht for Mr. Sol Green, Mr. Martin Brahms and attorney Shaeffer (1945), a new factory for the Panther Shoe Company, now called "Panther Park", Cambridge Road, corner Berkley Weg M16, in Maitland (the Managing Director Hugo Kocherthaler lived in Sandown Road corner Coniston Road, Cape Town 7700), a house for Siegbert Fleischmann (1913-1997) on the corner of 1 Portland Road and Sandown Road, not far from Hugo Kocherthaler’s home in Sandown Road (Mr. Fleischmann emigrated from Germany in 1936 and worked for Panther shoes and travelled each day to Wellington with Mr. Kocherthaler by car), a petrol service station and a managers flat in Durbanville for Charlie Lipshitz and a house for a cousin of him, modernization of the ABC Shoe Store at the corner of Plein Street and Spin Street in the center of Cape Town for Phillip Kriwer and two houses for him, one double story structure on 13 Mulvihal Road, corner Wood Road, and an other on 21 Wood Road, corner Milner Road in Rondebosch; the second Kriwer house was originally a single story structure, so there is no resemblance now to the original. And Alfred disegned a house in Muizenberg for Mr. Baraitser.
Alfred Harold Honikman designed his own house on 15 Mulvihal Road, corner Wood Road in Rondebosch. He sold a neighbouring piece of land to Phillip Kriwer.
Alfred Harold Honikman (1910-2009) is the uncle of architect Richard Honikman, Unit 2 Greenwich Grove Duke Road, Rondebosch, in Cape Town (http://www.richardhonikman.co.za/).
He designed "Wexford Place", Wexford Road, corner Exner Avenue, Vredehoek, Cape Town, and "Theatre Place", close "Theatre on the Bay" of Pieter Toerien, 1a Link Street, Camps Bay, Cape Town (www.theatreonthebay.co.za; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pieter_Toerien).
Awarded an Honorary Life Membership of the Cape Institute for Architecture.
Past president of the Cape Institute for Architecture and is on the National Practice Committee of the South African Institute for Architecture.
Sign up to comment.
Sign in if you already did it.
Photo taken in Rondebosch, Cape Town, South Africa
Misplaced? Suggest new location