The Bridge of Arta is an old stone bridge that crosses the Arachthos river in the west of the city of Arta in Greece.
The current length of the stone bridge of Arta reaches 145 m, and the width is 3,75 m. The four semicircular arches have no symmetry between them. The piers are built with large stones in regular ashlar , crowned , so reminiscent of Hellenistic masonry mansion . So this structure piers indicates that the bridge was built during the Hellenistic period , and - in the view of scholar John Tsoutsinou - probably is the work of Pyrrhus A ( 3rd century BC) . According to findings of F. Petsas archaeologist who attended the excavations to support iron bridge next to the old in the years of occupation , the same building continues until the bottoms of the bridge foundations . On these pillars , according to some scholars , were built during the Byzantine period (first period of Epirus ) or other terms in the first post-Byzantine period , four large arches , among which were inserted in their legs and to distant parts of the bridge a total of eight small arched openings , to channel the water in case of flooding. Masonry superstructure is consistent with normal small stones. It seems that the biggest arch , which due to its openness was more precarious , unknown cause destroyed and rebuilt in the Ottoman Empire , and it is this reconstruction of high arch that gave birth to the legend of the haunted wife's master builder and the corresponding primary song . According to written testimony -saved this construction was the year 1612 AD , the work lasted three years , until 1615 AD and the new arch became even higher.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia