Old Hotel - National Register of Historic Places Ref # 69000273, date listed 19691112
. U.S. 1
. Dumfries, VA (Prince William County)
. Neither a construction date nor a builder for the Ordinary is known. It has been suggested that it was built around 1765 by James Wren because of the many stylistic parallels between it and the Christ Church in Alexandria, one of Wren's best-known works. Also, the affinity between the Ordinary and many Annapolis houses suggests a connection with William Buckland.
. During the colonial times, the Ordinary was known as Williams Ordinary. Over the years it was also known as Love's Tavern, the Stage Coach Inn, and others. During the Civil War, the building was used as a Confederate Headquarters during the blockade of D.C. along the Potomac River. Today it is a private residence being restored. (1)
. References (1) Historic Dumfries