This wayside house or inn was built between 1872 and 1876 and a licence was issued to Joseph Barron. He remained at Tarwonga until 1893 when William Fleay bought the property and it appears no licence was granted. In 1904 Jack Kerrigan purchased the homestead and some 600 acres of freehold land. With the arrival of many new settlers Kerrigan obtained a Waysinde House Licence and the inn became the centre for most social and sporting activities. Football was played in a cleared block to the south and a cement cricket pitch was laid in another clearing to the north. A nearby rocky outcrop surrounded by shady red gums provided a place for spectators and picnics. Kerrigan also made available the brick room at the rear of the inn as the first Tarwonga School which opened in November 1906 with 11 students. In 1917 Dan Richards purchased the freehold from Kerrigan. Tarwonga remainded a licensed inn until 1924 when the licence was allowed to lapse. Although a portion of the original structure remains the stables , pig sties and the large toilet have been demolished.