Graffiti House - National Register of Historic Places Ref # 5001274, date listed 20051117
. 19484 Rd.
. Brandy Station, VA (Culpeper County)
. The Graffiti House is a two-story frame structure, believed to have been built in 1858. It was built directly beside the railroad tracks, suggesting that its function included some type of commercial aspect. Proprietors of whatever business was likely here may have also resided in the building. Local tradition holds that the building was used as a hospital by both Union and Confederate forces. The walls of the second floor contain inscriptions, drawings, messages, and signatures of Civil War soldiers, hence the name “Graffiti House.”
. The graffiti could have been made by soldiers recuperating in the hospital, by other soldiers posted at Brandy Station, or by soldiers passing through the town. Brandy Station was a strategic location and a junction of the Orange and Alexandria Railroad, and of roads leading to Kelly’s Ford and Beverly’s Ford on the Rappahannock River. Fleetwood Hill provided high ground suitable for both observation and a defensive position. (1)
. References (1) Brandy Station Foundation