State (aka Pitts) Theatre, Culpeper, VA

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Pitts Theatre - National Register of Historic Places Ref # 8000420, date listed 20080515

. 303-307 S. Main St.

. Culpeper, VA (Culpeper County)

. The State Theatre was built by State Senator Benjamin Pitts in 1938 as a vaudeville movie house, and was originally named the Pitts Theatre. The building featured an art deco façade, as was the prevalent style for movie houses in that era, with a modest interior. Of the thirty theatres that Senator Pitts built in the state of Virginia, there are only two that are still in use as a movie theatre—the State Theatre of Culpeper and The Royal located in Front Royal, VA. The Pitts family leased the theatre to Regal Cinemas in 1973, and it was renamed The State Theatre. For nearly fifty-five years the theatre served as Culpeper’s primary movie theatre. (1)

. References (1) Culpeper Theater

Show more
Show less
Save Cancel Want to use bold, italic, links?

Comments (1)

Kevin Stewart on January 8, 2014

Last time we went down to the folks, we ate in a diner right across the street from this.

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on January 6, 2014
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by chfstew
    • Camera: SONY DSC-HX20V
    • Taken on 2013/07/13 08:29:19
    • Exposure: 0.002s (1/640)
    • Focal Length: 5.76mm
    • F/Stop: f/3.500
    • ISO Speed: ISO100
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups