Johnson County Courthouse, Mountain City, TN

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Mountain City, TN (Johnson County)

. The first permanent Euro-American settlers arrived in the Mountain City area in the late 18th-century, among them Leonard Shoun and Revolutionary War veteran Alexander Doran. The area was initially part of Carter County, but the difficulty of reaching Elizabethton (the county seat) led to the creation of Johnson County in 1836. That year, a county seat for the new county was platted on land purchased from William Vaught, and named Taylorsville after Colonel James P. Taylor. The name of the town was changed to "Mountain City" in 1885, presumably at the urging of Roderick R. Butler (1827–1902), a prominent citizen and U.S. Congressman, who wanted the town's name to reflect its situation amidst one of the highest valleys in Tennessee. (1)

. References (1) Wikipedia

Show more
Show less
Save Cancel Want to use bold, italic, links?

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on March 21, 2014
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by chfstew
    • Camera: SONY DSC-HX20V
    • Taken on 2014/03/08 11:04:59
    • Exposure: 0.001s (1/1000)
    • Focal Length: 5.26mm
    • F/Stop: f/3.500
    • ISO Speed: ISO100
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups