Albany Station was constructed in 1889, the year the Great Southern Railway opened for operation from Beverley to Albany. Albany was the main port of Western Australia, until, Fremantle Harbour was dredged at the turn of the 20th centuary, up until the creation of the inner harbour at Fremantle, virtually all exports and imports went through Albany. After Fremantle Harbour was dredged, the percentage of exports and imports passing through Albany's harbour dropped dramactically.
Over the next 100 years Albany was resigned to play the second port of WA, mainly wheat kept the railway into Albany operating over the years.
Albany's rail passenger service ('The Albany Progress') ceased in 1978, due to not being able to compete with the much faster bus route straight down the Albamy HWY from Perth. Since then, only the Hotham Valley Tourist Railway has run the rare extended passenger trains down the GSR line to Albany.
These days the Station at Albany is used as the bus stop for the Transwa Coaches arriving and departing for places such as Perth, Esperance and Bunbury, the inside of the station building is used as the Albany Tourist Buearu and also there is a model railway group based in another part of the railway station building.