Cartecay Methodist Church and Cemetery - National Register of Historic Places Ref # 01000383, date listed 20010419
. Jct. of Roy Rd and GA 52
. Ellijay, GA (Gilmer County)
. In 1859 Barnett Wilson gave two acres of land for a new building and cemetery. The deed was signed October 25, 1859. The second building of the Cartecay Methodist Church, South was erected that year out of virgin pine timber, hand hewn and planed. The pews, altar and pulpit were fashioned from solid pieces of wide pine planks, one and one-half inches thick, fastened together by dove tailing and mortised with wooden pegs. The floor, ceiling and walls were also constructed from hand-hewn wide planks. Frank B. Haigler, a church member, later refinished all the wood used in the sanctuary in a buff color accenting the wood grain with a soft finish.
. Although no longer in use as a church, the white wood frame building still stands at the corner of Roy Road and Highway 52 East and in 2001 received it's designation on the National Registry of Historic Buildings. (1)
. References (1) Cartecay UMC