Cartecay Methodist Church and Cemetery, Ellijay, GA

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Cartecay Methodist Church and Cemetery - National Register of Historic Places Ref # 01000383, date listed 20010419

. Jct. of Roy Rd and GA 52

. Ellijay, GA (Gilmer County)

. In 1859 Barnett Wilson gave two acres of land for a new building and cemetery. The deed was signed October 25, 1859. The second building of the Cartecay Methodist Church, South was erected that year out of virgin pine timber, hand hewn and planed. The pews, altar and pulpit were fashioned from solid pieces of wide pine planks, one and one-half inches thick, fastened together by dove tailing and mortised with wooden pegs. The floor, ceiling and walls were also constructed from hand-hewn wide planks. Frank B. Haigler, a church member, later refinished all the wood used in the sanctuary in a buff color accenting the wood grain with a soft finish.

. Although no longer in use as a church, the white wood frame building still stands at the corner of Roy Road and Highway 52 East and in 2001 received it's designation on the National Registry of Historic Buildings. (1)

. References (1) Cartecay UMC

Show more
Show less
Save Cancel Want to use bold, italic, links?

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on April 9, 2014
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by chfstew
    • Camera: SONY DSC-HX20V
    • Taken on 2014/04/02 17:36:38
    • Exposure: 0.003s (1/400)
    • Focal Length: 4.84mm
    • F/Stop: f/8.000
    • ISO Speed: ISO100
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups