Lagos, Forte da Ponta da Bandeira - IRR

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Fort of Ponta da Bandeira (Portuguese: Forte da Ponta da Bandeira) - also known as the Forte do Pau da Bandeira, the Forte de Nossa Senhora da Penha de França or the Forte do Registo, the fort, which guarded the entrance to the harbour, was originally dedicated to the Santa Virgem Senhora da Penha de França (to which it was referred). This squat rectangular fort guards the entrance to the harbour, accessed by a smalldrawbridge, to terraced spaces (that overlook the town, beach and harbour) and the small chapel (decorated with 17th-century azulejos tile). Until the late 20th century, the fort was used as a service depot for military forces and housed services linked to maritime activities (such as supplies for lifeboats and nautical sports). It was restored between 1958 and 1960, and officially acquired by the municipality of Lagos in 1983, where it was converted into exhibition displays of maritime history, with astrolabes and models of caravels.

Show more
Show less
Save Cancel Want to use bold, italic, links?

Comments (141)

Gabriel MaXoTe on October 30

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ Bonita foto LIKE , Saludos desde TENERIFE, Gabriel █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on April 10, 2014
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by Inge Röpke
    • Camera: FUJIFILM MX-600ZOOM
    • Taken on 2000/08/06 05:48:44
    • Exposure: 0.004s (1/250)
    • Focal Length: 16.70mm
    • F/Stop: f/7.600
    • ISO Speed: ISO100
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups