The ir. D.F. Woudagemaal is the largest operational steam-powered pumping station in the world and located in Lemmer in the Dutch province of Friesland. On October 7, 1920 Queen Wilhelmina opened the pumping station. It was built to pump excess water out of Friesland.
It has a pumping capacity of 4,000 m3 per minute and is currently used to supplement the existing pumping capacity of the J.L. Hooglandgemaal in case of exceptionally high water levels which happens a few days per year.
Since 1998 its listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.