Castleroche was the seat of the De Verdon family, and used to be known as ‘Castlellum de Rupe’ or de la Roche - The Castle of the rocks. It is said that after the death of her first husband, Roesha De Verdon returned to Ireland and set about fortifying her castle in Roche. Roesha had such a bad temper that no architect was willing to work for her. Eventually she decided to offer her own hand in marriage to the man who would build her castle and despite her temper, being a handsome and wealthy woman, the castle was soon completed. On the eve of her marriage Roesha called the architect, soon to be her new husband, to their marriage quarters. Opening the large window and looking out over her castle and lands, she bade her new man to observe what was soon to be his new found wealth. As he looked out, Roesha promptly pushed him to his death on the rocks below. To this very day his ghost can be seen in the window. Strangely the window, known as ‘murder window’ is blocked up from the inside. In the 1300s Castleroche was at the frontier of the English pale. By the end of the Bruce Invasion in 1317 it was recorded as lying burnt at the hands of the Irish. In more recent times it came into the hands of the Bellew family and in 1561 hosted a gathering of all English forces in Ireland. In 1641 Castleroche was finally laid to waste by Cromwell, and left as an abandoned ruin ever since. Castleroche is an OPW site, it is in Irish State care and freely open to the public.