The castle Gelderse Toren is a large round tower located in Spankeren ( municipality of Rheden ) in the Dutch province of Gelderland . It is located in the floodplains of the river IJssel . The castle is first mentioned in 1179 . The Gelderse Toren is since 2001 a protected monument complex . The first court dates from before 1179. The foundations of the current tower dates from the thirteenth century. In 1535 the tower was largely demolished and a new one was built . The tower had become so dilapidated that it was decided, in 1868, to partially tear down the old tower. It was rebuilt in neo-Gothic style. The architect was Jan Brink Evers.