Starting at the bottom, the football pitches are used by Jordanhill School. At the left are some temporary huts built over 40 years ago to provide extra classrooms. These are due to be replaced in summer 2007 by a new building somewhere off the right hand side of the photo. The sandstone terraced houses are all residential and were built of yellow sandstone in the early 1900s, when the city of Glasgow expanded to include Jordanhill. This is a rear view of most of them. Those which are blond have been sandblasted to restore the original colour. Those which are black show the signs of 70 years of soot and smog before the clean air act came into force and burning coal in the city was prohibited. The building on the bottom right is the clubhouse for the local bowling and tennis association. It is due to be demolished soon to clear the debts of the club and make space for new housing. The bowling and tennis club will contract and build a new smaller clubhouse. The yellow brick building on the right above the clubhouse is about half a mile away. It is a block of modern flats built about 10 years ago. The two buildings on the hill about three quarters of a mile away are part of Gartnavel Royal hospital. The older, top, building is from the late 19th century. Just peeking over the top is the outline of the more modern Gartnavel General hospital buildings over a mile away.
Sign up to comment.
Sign in if you already did it.
Photo taken in Gartnavel General Hospital, 1053 Great Western Road, Glasgow, Glasgow City G12 0YN, UK
Misplaced? Suggest new location