Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Glebe Church, Suffolk, VA

Glebe Church - National Register of Historic Places Ref # 73002148, date listed 19730525

. W of Chesapeake City on VA 337

. Suffolk, VA (Independent City)

. As stated in the Vestry book, in 1737 the church on the glebe land was in "ruinous condition" and a new church was ordered to be built. The land on which the church was to be built was a part of the lands and cash donated in 1676 by Richard Bennett, his grandson Richard, and Thomas Tilly. The church was begun in 1737 and completed in 1738 and was known as Bennett's Creek Church. Originally the entrance was in the west wall of the building, facing Bennett's Creek, and the altar was at the east end of the building. The outside measurements of the building were 48 feet 6 inches by 25 feet 4 inches and the walls were 20 inches thick. The church has been altered several times since then. It was enlarged in 1759 with the addition of an L-shaped north wing. The church fell into disrepair by 1812 and the ruined north wing was torn down and the original building was repaired in 1856. The entrance was changed to the east end when the north wing was demolished, but it was on the south side of the church. This door was replaced by a window and the door was moved to it's present location around 1898. (1)

. References (1) Glebe Church

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on December 3, 2014
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by Tim Stewart
    • Camera: SONY DSC-HX20V
    • Taken on 2014/07/07 12:57:02
    • Exposure: 0.002s (1/640)
    • Focal Length: 4.63mm
    • F/Stop: f/3.200
    • ISO Speed: ISO100
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash