Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Cedar Rapids 2nd Avenue SE Automobile Row Historic District

The Culver Motors/Rapid Chevrolet building at 601 2nd Avenue SE is a contributing resource to the historic district which was posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 23, 2015. The property is a one-story, 12,600-square foot, steel beam construction with brick cladding.

The building is situated on the southeast corner of the intersection of 2nd Avenue SE and 5th Street SE with its façade facing north. Due to its corner location, the west elevation is considered a secondary façade. The building was constructed in 1923 for the Barish Bros. Motor Co. and, typical of an automobile sales store, the building features large display windows on the primary and secondary facades and a vehicular bay entrance (in this case, on the north). Pedestrian entrances provide access to the building interior on the north and the west.

The building was occupied by various automobile-related enterprises from the time of its construction through 1965. The building is generally referred in the community by the names of its two most long-lived occupants, Rapids Chevrolet, which occupied the building from 1924-1951, and Culver Motors, 1937-1956. The final auto sales company located in the building was McGrath Pontiac from 1957-1965. For more information: http://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/15000749.pdf

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on November 17, 2015
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by King Hawkfan