Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Cedar Rapids 2nd Avenue Automobile Row Historic District

The Barton-Ford Motor Co. building, located at 616 2nd Avenue SE, is counted as a contributing resource to the Automobile Row Historic District. The property is a one-story, 4,970-square foot, rectangular building constructed with a steel frame and is clad in brick.16 The building is situated near the middle of its block; historically amid a line of contiguous commercial buildings, a vacant lot is now adjacent on the east. The building’s façade faces south. The building was constructed in 1912 as the Barton-Ford Motor Co. and was one of the first two commercial buildings (the other being at 608) constructed on Block 49.17 Typical of an automobile related commercial building, the building featured large display windows on the primary elevation. The building was occupied by various automobile-related enterprises from the time of its construction through 1938. Few of the many occupants remained in the building for any length of time, but locally recognizable businesses include the P.M. Lattner Sales Co., 1917-1919 and the Kadlec Brothers, 1931-1933.

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on November 17, 2015
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by KingHawkFan