Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Cedar Rapids 2nd Avenue SE Automobile Row Historic District

The Russell Cadillac building, located at 630 2nd Avenue SE, is counted as a contributing resource to the Automobile Row Historic District. The property is a one-story, 10,360-square foot, steel beam construction with brick cladding.18

The building is situated on the northwest corner of the intersection of 2nd Avenue SE and 6th Street SE with its façade facing south. Due to its corner location, the east elevation is considered a secondary façade. The building was constructed in 1917 for Russell Cadillac and, typical of an automobile sales store, the building features large display windows on the primary and secondary facades and vehicular bay entrances (in this case, on the east). A corner pedestrian entrance provides access to the building interior.

The building was occupied by various automobile-related enterprises from the time of its construction through the district’s period of significance. From its construction through 1925 occupants were automobile dealers, including Murphy Cadillac/Murphy Motor Car Co., 1918-1919 and the Loomis Motor Co., 1922- 1923. The building is best recognized locally as Rapaport Auto Parts, which occupied the property from 1951-2001. (http://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/15000749.pdf)

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on November 18, 2015
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by KingHawkFan