Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Cedar Rapids 2nd Avenue SE Automobile Row Historic District

Garnet’s Sandwich Shop, located at 715 2nd Avenue SE, is counted as a contributing resource to the Automobile Row Historic District. The property is a one-story, 1,600-square foot, concrete block construction with brick cladding on the façade.25

The building is situated mid-block, adjacent to 709 2nd Avenue SE, with its façade facing north. A vacant lot bounds the property on the east. The building was constructed in c.1925 for MAKS Lubricating Service & Filling Station. Curiously (although not uncommon in Cedar Rapids), the building was constructed at the front of a lot occupied by a large, 19th century Victorian residence. By 1937 Garnet McLean resided in the house and ran Garnet’s Sandwich Shop from the small building at the front of the lot. The shop remained a 2nd Avenue fixture through 1956.

The visual character of Garnet’s Sandwich Shop rests on its diminutive scale, flat roof, façade configuration of the façade fenestration, and the Art Deco inspired details over the doorway – all of which remain in place. As a result, the building retains a very good level of historic integrity – the sole significant breach in exterior integrity being the loss of the residence that stood behind it through ca.1960. http://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/15000749.pdf

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on November 18, 2015
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by King Hawkfan