Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Cedar Rapids 2nd Avenue SE Automobile Row Historic District

The Mobilgas building, located at 727 2nd Avenue SE, is counted as a contributing resource to the Automobile Row Historic District. The property is a one-story, 1,998-square foot, clay tile block construction with brick cladding.26

The building is situated on the southwest corner of the intersection of 2nd Avenue SE and 7th Street SE with a deep setback on the north designed to allow for access to the building’s vehicular bays, pass-through traffic across the corner, and customer parking. The setback area is paved, with the paved lot stretching to the building’s east side.

The Mobilgas building was constructed in ca.1945 on a site that had been occupied by a filling station since ca.1931 – fire insurance maps record a clear change in footprint between revision maps in 1930 and 1949. Using supporting evidence found in city directories, it appears that the earlier building was replaced by the present in ca.1945. The building was occupied by Mobilgas (aka Mobil Service Station) under a variety of private owners from 1945 through 1965. http://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/15000749.pdf

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on November 18, 2015
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by KingHawkFan