Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Cedar Rapids 2nd Avenue SE Automobile Row Historic District

The Shell Service Station, located at 803 2nd Avenue SE, is counted as a contributing resource to the Automobile Row Historic District. The original section of the property (located at the rear) is a one-story, 3,692-square foot, clay tile block construction, with a 512-square foot addition on the north.

The building is situated on the southeast corner of the intersection of 2nd Avenue SE and 7th Street SE with a deep setback on the north designed to allow for access to the building’s vehicular bays, pass-through traffic across the corner, and customer parking on the east. The setback area and east parking lot remains intact.

The Shell Service Station was constructed in ca.1929 with an addition made by 1931. Considered the “gas station boom years,” it was during this period (1925-1932) in which the design of service stations was elevated with central design themes commonly adopted by major suppliers such as the Shell Company. The flat roof, curved corner, and glass block are indicative of that shift in design approach.29 The building was occupied by the Shell Petroleum Co. under a variety of private owners through 1938 after which time it continued to function as a filling/service station through ca.1942. By 1949 Master Cleaners was located in the building where they remained through at least 1965. http://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/15000749.pdf

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on November 18, 2015
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by KingHawkFan