Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Cedar Rapids 2nd Avenue SE Automobile Row Historic District

The Cadillac Sales building, located at 720 3rd Avenue SE, is counted as a contributing resource to the Automobile Row Historic District. The property is a one-story, 7,700-square foot, rectangular building constructed with tile block and a wood truss roof; the façade is clad in brick.31 The building is situated adjacent to the corner building at the east end of the block. A freestanding building bounds the building on the west (with a gap of approximately three feet between them) and it is bound on the east by a two-story building of a similar construction date. The building’s façade faces south. The building was constructed in 1921 to house the Cadillac Sales Co., which, typical of an automobile related commercial building, featured large display windows on the primary elevation. The building was occupied by various automobile-related enterprises from the time of its construction through 1939; locally recognizable businesses include the Don Sales Co., 1922-1926 and Cedar Rapids Oakland in 1929. By the early 1940s, the building’s occupants had shifted to service companies such as Tait & Wagner, real estate (1941-1965) and Collins Employee Credit Union (1956-1962). http://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/15000749.pdf

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on November 18, 2015
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by King Hawkfan