Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Cedar Rapids 2nd Avenue SE Auto Row Historic District

The building located at 701-713 3rd Avenue SE is counted as a contributing resource to the Automobile Row Historic District. The property is a one-story, 9,800-square foot, brick building with seven storefronts (today, each is individually owned).35 The building is situated on the southeast corner of the intersection of 3rd Avenue SE and 7th Street SE with its façade facing north. Due to its corner location, the west elevation is considered a secondary façade.

The building was constructed in 1923. In that year through c.1935, Iowa Tire & Tube was located in the western storefront (701), after which the Uptown Drug Store occupied the storefront for 15 years or more. A variety of businesses located in the building’s remaining storefronts over time. The Piggly Wiggly occupied 703 from 1923-1926. The Great A&P Tea Company was in 711 before relocating in a new building across the street (720) in 1929.36 Long-term occupants include the Uptown Village Tavern, which located at 705- 707 beginning in ca.1938, remaining there through at least 1950. After that time the Uptown Village Café occupied that storefront (1956-c.1960). http://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/15000749.pdf

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on November 19, 2015
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by King Hawkfan