Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Cedar Rapids 2nd Avenue SE Automobile Row Historic District

The Morgan Krabbenhoft & Morgan building, located at 216 8th Street SE, is counted as a contributing resource to the Automobile Row Historic District. The property is a 2,340-square foot, concrete block construction with cement floors – exterior walls are currently painted.

The building’s visual character is utilitarian in nature, lacking decorative devices safe a simple, turned brick detail in the upper façade wall. The façade features a pedestrian entrance and a series of undersized windows set into a larger, historic opening. As noted, the building was constructed as an automotive repair business and that historic function is reflected in its construction methods and its utilitarian appearance. The property first appears on fire insurance maps in 1930, noting the building’s footprint and general details much as they appear today. The map also notes an open interior floor plan – typical of a repair shop property type. Following its initial occupation by Morgan Krabbenhoft & Morgan, a series of auto repair businesses were located in the building, including Unzeitig Motor from 1931 to 1934 and John Blaul’s & Sons from 1947 to 1954. By the 1960s, retail driven companies were using the space.

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on November 19, 2015
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by King Hawkfan