Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Cedar Rapids Central Business District Commercial Historic District

This building is the Sokol Gymnasium located at 417 3rd Street SE. It's not only a contributing building to the historic district, but was individually placed on the National Register of Historic Places May 4, 2013. The Historic District was posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 2, 2015.

This three-story Neo-Classical Revival building, which is located on the west side of 3rd Street SE, was designed by Charles A. Dieman and constructed in 1908-1909 for a Czech gymnastic and social organization that had formed in 1873. The building has a concrete foundation and walls clad primarily in brick, with stone trim and pressed metal cornice. The primary fa<;ade is divided into three bays. The first floor wall is clad in stone. The primary entrance is slightly recessed and set beneath a projecting shed roof canopy. The first floor base is differentiated from the body of the upper floors with a prominent stone ledge. The middle section's four pilasters rise from the ledge. Each pilaster has a stone capital. The walls between the pilasters are almost filled by the vertical banks of large windows. In each bay, a pressed-metal panel separates the second and third floor windows. Each bay's panel has a single word, reading "SOKOLOVNA" "1908" "GYMNASIUM." Although the sash windows are replacements, they are very close approximations of the original pane patterns. The windows are :fi:an1ed by brick piers with a stone sill and brick segmental-arched header. Above the headers ofthe top third-floor windows is a wide brick frieze-like band decorated with bands ofprojecting bricks. A vertical panel of detailed ornate metal is placed at the apex of each pilaster. Long stone panels with raised lettering span the bays. The panels read "SVATOPLUK CECH" "FUGNER TYRES" "KLACEL HAVLICEK." A prominent cornice above a band of dentils surmounts the panels. Curved garland details stand above each of the pilasters. Still owned by the Sokol organization, the building is being rehabilitated after the flood of 2008. (Taken from: http://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/15000757.pdf)

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on November 24, 2015
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by KingHawkFan