Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Cedar Rapids Central Business District Commercial Historic District

This is the old Torch Press Building/old Cedar Rapids Museum of Art Located at 324 3rd Street SE. This building is a contributing resource in the historic district which was posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 2, 2015.

• This four-story building, which is located on the northeast comer of 3rd Street SE and Fourth Avenue SE, was designed by Cedar Rapids architects Josselyn and Taylor and constructed in 1908 to house the publishing and printing facilities ofthe Torch Press. In 1964, the building was remodeled by Brown, Healey and Bock to provide facilities for the Cedar Rapids Museum of Art. The building is clad in red brick organized into five bays on 3rd Street SE and seven bays on Fourth Avenue SE by stylized pilasters above a tall brick-clad base. At the first floor, storefront windows flank central entrances on each facade. At the upper floors, window openings between the pilasters are set between horizontal concrete plaster spandrels. After the art museum moved into its new building on 3rd Street SE in 1989, the building was converted into office space. (Taken from http://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/15000757.pdf)

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on November 24, 2015
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by King Hawkfan