Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Cedar Rapids Central Business District Commercia Historic District

This is the Iowa Theater, currently named Theatre Cedar Rapids, located at 102-106 3rd Street SE and is a contributing resource in the historic district which was posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 2, 2015.

•This three-story theater and office building, which is located on the southeast corner of3rd Street SE and First Avenue SE, was built in 1927-1928 for the Orpheum vaudeville theater chain. Designed by Omaha architect George L. Fisher, a specialist in theater design, the building incorporated retail space at the first floor and office space at the upper two floors, in addition to the auditorium and stage facilities. The building is clad in yellow "Milwaukee" brick above a glazed terra cotta base. Metal-framed storefronts with transom windows, separated by brick pilasters, span the north and west first floor facades. Decorative elements include cast-stone spandrel panels between the second and third floors and two-story fluted columns with Corinthian capitals supporting an arched hood rising above the marquee at the primary entrance on 3rd Street. Paired double-hung sash windows on the second and third floors on the 3rd Street and First Avenue elevations are separated by projecting brick pilasters with Corinthian capitals. Below the projecting cornice above the third-story windows are panels festooned with garlands depicting corn and other Iowa produce; above the cornice, smaller tripled one-over-one double- hung sash windows are vertically aligned over windows on the lower floors. The theater became the home of Theatre Cedar Rapids, originally the Cedar Rapids Community Theater, in 1984. (Taken from http://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/15000757.pdf)

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on November 25, 2015
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by King Hawkfan