Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Cedar Rapids Central Business District Commercial Historic District

This is the old Hutchinson Ice Cream Building located at 200 fifth Avenue SE/419 3rd Street SE and is a contributing building in the historic district which was posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 2, 2015.

•This two-story manufacturing building, which is located on the northwest corner of Fifth Avenue SE and 3rd Street SE was constructed in 1921 for the Hutchinson Ice Cream Company. It was designed in a commercial style by Charles B. Anthony of Hatton Holmes and Anthony with the Lightner Brothers Construction Company. The building is seven bays wide and five bays deep. The raised basement walls are concrete. The bays are divided by brick pilasters that are visually supported by the buildings concrete base and terminate in line with the second floor window lintels. The pilasters have concrete rectilinear motifs and capitals. Concrete panels with the word " HITCHINSON" are located above the second story bcltcourse on the south and east facades. All of the windows have concrete silLs and lintels. Windows throughout the building have been replaced with metal frame, multi-pane windows. The windows in the westernmost bay of the facade has metal frame windows that extend from the ground level to the belt course above the sec nd story. The adjacent bay is obscured by modern, steel frame grid work that serves as the sign for the buildings occupants, OPN Architects. (Taken from: http://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/15000757.pdf )

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on December 4, 2015
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by KingHawkFan