Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Cedar Rapids Central Business District Commercial Historic District

This is the Lattner Auditorium Building located at 213-217 Fourth Avenue SE. The building is a contributing resource in the historic district which was posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 2, 2015, the building is also individually listed and was posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 17, 1983.

• This three-story commercial building, which is located on the Third Avenue SE, was constructed in 1909-1910 for Paul Lattner, owner of the Cedar Rapids Auto and Supply Company. The architects Dieman and Fiske designed the building with an auto salesroom on the first floor, auto storage on the second floor, and an auditorium/dance hall space on the third floor. The facade is symmetrical in design, with a narrow bay on either side of a wide, central bay. The first floor is divided by five brick pilasters with stone bases. Modern storefront windows above a stone base flank a central recessed entrance. The first and second floors are divided by a band of corbelled bricks and a limestone band that serves as a sill for the second floor windows. The fenestration pattern on the second and third floors is the same: a single two-over-two fixed window in each outer bay, and a band of seven one-over-one fixed windows in the central bay. Corbelled brick bands frame the window openings. A bracketed stone shelf is centered above the third floor windows and is flanked on either side by window that takes the form of a wheel. A stone name plate on the parapet above the shelfreads "LATTNER." Automotive-related firms occupied the building through 1935. The Century Engineering Corporation was in the building between 1939 and 1951. (Taken from: http://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/15000757.pdf )

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on December 4, 2015
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by KingHawkFan