Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Cedar Rapids Central Business District Commercial Historic District

This is the Kozlovsky Building located at 110 2nd Street SE. The building is a contributing resource in the historic district which was posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 2, 2015.

• This two-story retail store building, which is located on the east side of 2nd Street SE, was constructed in 1911 as an investment property for Joseph Koslovsky, a former police marshal. The previous building on the site had been destroyed in a fire. The facade is clad in red brick. The first floor storefront is recessed and it has undergone alterations with two modern fixed windows and a modern glass and metal door with transom overhead. The second floor has three window openings: a wider opening for a pair of multi-pane sash windows, flanked on either side by a narrower opening for a single multi-pane sash window. The windows rest upon a continuous stone band that projects slightly from the wall, supported by stone brackets, beneath the central window bay. The brick parapet is lined with stone coping. The facade between the second floor windows and roofline is adorned with several stone accents: a plaque that reads "1911" is inlaid in the brick just above the windows. It is surmounted by a large plaque carved with a shield and torches; the parapet and coping rise in the center of the building to follow the upper line of the plaque. Two smaller plaques with carved details are placed beneath the coping on each side of the primary facade . Early specialized retail tenants were the McDonnell and Bollinger shoe store, the Selz shoe store, and then Charles Greenberg's furrier business until at least 1954. (Taken from: http://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/15000757.pdf )

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on December 4, 2015
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by KingHawkFan