Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Cedar Rapids Central Business District Commercial Historic District

This is the Lyman/Iowa Building located at 221 Fourth Avenue SE. It is a contributing resource in the historic district which was posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 2, 2015. This building was also individually posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 18, 1983.

• This seven-story warehouse and factory building, which is located on the southwest comer of Fourth Avenue SE and 2nd Street SE, was constructed in 1913-1914 to house the Lyman Wholesale and Retail Millinery Company. It was designed by Cedar Rapids architect Robert R. Maybeny and engineer H.J. Bishop. The reinforced-concrete building suffered a partial collapse during construction, killing seven workers. The walls are clad with pressed brick and terra-cotta trim. The vertical perspective of the building is interrupted with wide projecting cornice lines between the first and second, second and third, and sixth and seventh floors. The front of the building is symmetrically divided into three equal bays. The first floor has modern storefronts, separated by pilasters of alternating brick and terra cotta bands. The tops of the pilasters feature decorative square capitals with centered crest motifs. Each bay in the second through sixth floors had a band of three windows: central fixed sash flanked by double-hung sash. There are three small ash windows per bay on the seventh floor. A cornice projects from above the seventh floor, below the parapet. After the Lyman company left the building in 1932, it was acquired by the Century Engineering Corporation, which renamed it the Iowa Building. (Taken from: http://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/15000757.pdf )

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on December 4, 2015
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by KingHawkFan