Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Cedar Rapids Central Business District Commercial District

This is the old Cedar Rapids Marble and Granite Works Building located at 313-317 3rd Avenue SE. The building is a contributing resource in the historic district which was posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 2, 2015.

• This two-story, three-bay commercial building, which is located on the south side of Third Avenue SE, was constructed in two phases in 1893 and 1905 for the Searles Baxter Company, proprietors of the Cedar Rapids Marble and Granite Works. The first floor has been altered with modern storefronts: the walls are clad in tile and the modern fixed windows have concrete block panels beneath. The building's primary entrance is slightly off-center, recessed beneath the central bay. The modern door has sidelights and a transom. The secondary entrance, which leads upstairs, is also recessed. The modern door is sheltered by a cloth canopy. The thre second floor bays are nearly identical and each bay is divided by a vertical band of light-colored stone. The stone facing above the second-floor windows is punctuated by arched panels that include two date plaques. The first floor retail space has been occupied by a variety of businesses, including the city's first Piggly-Wiggly store (1921), the Great A&P Co. (1926) and Sears Roebuck and Company (1949). The second-floor offices have been leased to doctors, dentists, lawyers, and other professionals. (Taken from: http://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/15000757.pdf )

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on December 4, 2015
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by KingHawkFan