Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Cedar Rapids Central Business District Commercial Historic District

This is the Guaranty Bank & Trust Building located at 302-308 Third Avenue SE/216-224 3rd Street SE. The building is a contributing resource in the historic district which was posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 2, 2015.

• This six-story bank and office building is located on the northeast corner of Third Avenue SE and 3rd Street SE with a two-story extension along Third Avenue SE. Designed by the Cedar Rapids firm of Josselyn and Taylor, the building was constructed in 1896 for the Cedar Rapids Savings Bank. The extension, also by Josselyn and Taylor was built in 1909-1910. At the time of construction, the steel and concrete-framed building was the tallest in the city. The lower two floors are clad in quartzite, imported from Pipestone, MN. The upper four floors are a dark reddish-brown brick. The facade of the building features decorative brick detailing between the third and fourth floors. The bay in which the 3rd Street entrance is set slightly projects from the rest ofthe facade and features corbelled brick detailing and arched window on the sixth floor. The fifth and sixth floors are separated by a bracketed brick corillce. The building features a distinctive six-sided Gothic tower along the top five floors of its 3rd Avenue corner. The tower has a balcony on its top level with round brick columns and metal grillwork and is surmounted by a conical roof. The extension continues the design of the original building with a granite base surmounted by a brick parapet. The Cedar Rapids Savings Bank became the Guaranty Bank and Trust Company in 1934. (Taken from: http://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/15000757.pdf )

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on December 5, 2015
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by King Hawkfan