Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Cedar Rapids Central Business District Commercial Historic District

This is the old Strand Theater Building located at 316 Third Avenue SE. The building is a contributing resource in the historic district which was posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 2, 2015.

• This three-story Beaux-Arts theater building, which is located on the north side of Third Avenue SE was constructed in 1915 to house the Strand Players, a professional stock acting company, as well as vaudeville acts and motion picture . One sourcd lists the architect as William J. Brown. It features a large, central round-arch opening that served as the buildings main entrance. The entrance is recessed and the door is a modern replacement. The first floor walls and side storefronts have been clad in cement board. The marquee has also been obscured and the upper portion of the arch has a fixed, modern multi-pane window. The second floor wall is clad with square, glazed terra-cotta tiles. It is framed with terra-cotta trim with lattice detail and floral medallions. Historically, the center of each medallion contained a light bulb. The two small windows flanking the upper half of the round arch have been blocked in. Three small sliding windows punctuate the third floor facade. A cornice with decorative terra-cotta brackets is surmounted by a shingled shed roof. The exposed east wall is painted brick and has a modern metal and glass entryway. After the motion picture theater (then called the World) closed in 1981, it was taken over by the Guaranty Bank and the interior converted for use by the bank. (Taken from: http://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/15000757.pdf )

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on December 5, 2015
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by King Hawkfan