Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Corinthia, Feneos, St. George's Monastery

In the center of Lake Doxa there is the church of Saint Fanourios. Previously there was the Monastry of Saint George (the Dragonslayer), but, because of the flood, it moved a short distance from its original position at a neighbouring hill.

The monastery was founded in the 14th century and during the years of the Greek Revolution in 1821, it was used as the headquarters of the Society of Friends, led by the abbot of the monastery Nathaniel and with the help of other abbots of the neighboring monasteries. Afterwards the place was used by Theodoros Kolokotronis to hold meetings of chieftains from Arcadia and Corinthia, and many wealthy residents helped significantly with money offers, making the monastry a great economic force in the region.

The monastery was renovated in 1754. It is a three-floor building with an internal courtyard that houses the church of St. George with its cupola and its excellent mural paintings. The main feature of the temple is a wooden carved – gilded iconostasis describing scenes from the Old Testament.

The view from the balcony of the monastery is impressive and it is pure beauty for the eyes.

from www.pasithea.gr

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on April 26, 2016
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by Christos Theodorou
    • Camera: Canon EOS 70D
    • Taken on 2016/04/02 12:40:46
    • Exposure: 0.006s (1/160)
    • Focal Length: 18.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/6.300
    • ISO Speed: ISO100
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash