Oswald Rooming House - 1026 N Beckley St Oak Cliff

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (1)

TIMCDFW on December 13, 2006

Authorities did not seal the Texas School Book Depository until 12:39 or 12:40 p.m.. Before that, policemen, detectives, witnesses, and others were first directed by persons to search the grassy knoll, parking lot, and railroad yard from 12:30 to 12:39 p.m.. The Dealey Plaza immediate area streets and blocks were never sealed-off either, and within only nine minutes of the assassination, photographs show that vehicles were driving down Elm Street, through the crime scene kill zone.

At 1:00 p.m., after a bus and taxi ride (a taxi ride that he was witnessed offering first to an elderly woman), Oswald arrived back at his boarding room (1026 North Beckley St.) and according to his landlady, left at 1:03 or 1:04 p.m. when she last saw him standing and waiting at a bus stop.

At 1:15 to 1:16 p.m. (one nearby witness who actually looked at his watch stated 1:10 p.m.), Dallas police officer J. D. Tippit was shot dead 0.88 miles from Oswald's rooming house. Thirteen people witnessed Oswald either shooting Tippit or fleeing the immediate scene. After the Tippit murder, Oswald was witnessed traveling on foot toward the Texas Theatre.

At about 1:35 p.m. Johnny Calvin Brewer, who worked as a manager at "Hardy's Shoe Store" nearby the "Texas Theatre" on Jefferson Blvd. saw Oswald turning his face away from the street and duck into the entranceway of the shoe store as Dallas squad cars sirened up the street. When Oswald left the store, Brewer followed Oswald and watched him go into the Texas Theater movie house without paying while ticket attendant Julie Postal was distracted. Brewer notified Postal, who in turn informed the Dallas Police at 1:40 p.m.. Inside the theater, several witnesses saw Oswald shift to several different seat locations to sit next to different patrons.

Almost two dozen policemen, sheriffs, and detectives in several patrol cars arrived at Texas Theatre because they believed Tippit's killer was inside. (Minutes beforehand they had raided a nearby library on a similar, but mistaken report.) When an arrest attempt was made at 1:50 p.m. inside the theater, Oswald resisted arrest and, according to the police, attempted to shoot a patrolman after yelling once, "Well, it's all over now!" then punching a patrolman. A policeman was witnessed to immediately yell, "Kill the president, will ‘ya?!!"

At 3:01 p.m. Dallas time, only an hour after Oswald was taken into the Dallas jail, FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover wrote a memo to his assistant directors in which he stated, "I called the Attorney General at his home and told him I thought we had the man who killed the President down in Dallas, at the present time".

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo taken in Lake Cliff Historic District, Dallas, TX 75203, USA

Photo details

  • Uploaded on December 14, 2006
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by TIMCDFW
    • Camera: NIKON E995
    • Taken on 2003/11/22 00:40:46
    • Exposure: 0.003s
    • Focal Length: 8.20mm
    • F/Stop: f/6.000
    • ISO Speed: ISO100
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash