The Timeline Pathway consists of flagstones each commemorating a significant date in Dover's history. The first (on the left) records the building of two Roman lighthouses in 120 A.D.
The 'first' lighthouse (or Pharos) is still standing in the grounds of Dover Castle next to the church of St. Mary-in-Castro.
The remains of the second Pharos are known locally as the 'Devil's Drop of Mortar', or Bredenstone, and are located on the Drop Redoubt.
A Satellite view of the Drop Redoubt. Click within the large square outline for details of open days and other info.
Click here for a satellite view of the Bredenstone's location.
Pencester Gardens are located in the town center and first opened in 1924.
The Gardens are bordered to the north and north-east by the River Dour and to the south-west by a children's play area (including a popular bicycle/bike 'adventure training area' or "skate park"). To the south-east lies Stembrook and Castle Street. To the north-west is Pencester Road (1) itself which was laid out in 1860.
Pencester Gardens hosts Fairs and other events throughout the year. It now contains a 'Millenium Pavilion' and a Timeline path recording the history of Dover engraved in flagstones.
(1) Street Name Origins
There are two contenders for the honour of having Pencester Road named after them. One Stephen de Pencester, who helped Hubert de Burgh defend the Castle during the French siege of 1216. Another Stephen de Pencester was also Constable of Dover Castle from 1267 to 1299. Prior to the road being built there had been no cross road from the main thoroughfare to Maison Dieu Road between Castle Street and Bridge Street. In 1854 the Gunman estate came on the market and Pencester Road was laid out by Mr William Moxon. Soon after that the erection of houses commenced but before the surface of the road could be metalled, Mr Moxon’s financial difficulties brought matters to a standstill, the river only being bridged by a plank. The bridge was finally built in 1862. Pencester Gardens opened in the 1920s.
"Dover in World War Two: 1942 (1) is a ten minute British Ministry of Information film, released by the US Office of War Information, and narrated by the American journalist, Edward R. Murrow.
The video contains a short clip of Pencester Gardens in which a local resident (accompanied by her father) is interviewed.
The whole video can be seen at Dover in World War Two: 1942 or choose one of the other pre-selected entry points:
Dunkirk Evacuation 0:00:40
Winston Churchill 0:01:22
The Mayor 0:05:49
Dover Town Hall 0:06:25
St Martin's Battery 0:07:03
(1) Original titles: Dover (1942) or Dover Front Line.
Click to see a photo of the Bredenstone.
Sign up to comment.
Sign in if you already did it.
Photo taken in Dover, Kent, UK
Misplaced? Suggest new location