River Dour Weir near Bridge Street, Dover, Kent, England, United Kingdom

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (2)

John Latter on May 9, 2007

A view of the River Dour emerging from under the bridge on Bridge Street. The road to the right is Charlton Green, the cars on it having just come down Frith Road. The church in the background is the church of St Peter & St Paul.

Street Name Origins

Bridge Street is part of an ancient road running from Charlton to Hougham, which continued on up Black Horse Lane (now Tower Hamlets Road). The part now called Bridge Street probably got its name in 1829 when a brick bridge was built across the river Dour. Originally the road had crossed by a ford, with a wooden bridge for pedestrians.

John Latter on July 18, 2013

Also see Grey Heron and Mallard Ducks, River Dour, Charlton Green (taken from the pavement near the red car on Maison Dieu Road).

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on March 26, 2007
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by John Latter
    • Camera: PENTAX Corporation PENTAX Optio 33LF
    • Taken on 2007/03/22 09:33:13
    • Exposure: 0.004s (1/250)
    • Focal Length: 5.80mm
    • F/Stop: f/4.800
    • ISO Speed: ISO100
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups