Noble decay

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (1)

Brownhills Bob on November 2, 2008

The excellent historical site, 'Staffordshire past Track' has this to say about this curious little folly at Shugboriugh:

'Also known as the Dark Lantern, the Lanthorn was the last Neo-classical monument to be designed by James 'Athenian' Stuart for Shugborough. It was completed in 1771. The original, the Choragic Monument of Lysicrates, stands near the Acropolis in Athens.

The bowl, which rested upon a tripod, was made by Wedgwood. In a state of disrepair the structure was restored in the 1960s; the missing bowl and tripod were replaced with fibreglass copies made to Stuart's original design.'

It appears that the replacement bowl has now gone, as just the tripod remains. The monument is still a thing of beauty, complimenting the shedding oak tree next to it...

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo taken in Shugborough Park, Great Haywood, Stafford, Staffordshire, UK

Photo details

  • Uploaded on October 27, 2008
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by Brownhills Bob
    • Camera: Panasonic DMC-LX2
    • Taken on 2008/10/26 17:14:56
    • Exposure: 0.010s (1/100)
    • Focal Length: 9.30mm
    • F/Stop: f/3.200
    • ISO Speed: ISO100
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups