The Davis opened in 1918 for the Lubliner & Trinz circuit as the Pershing in the Lincoln Square neighborhood, then a predominantly German-American area of Chicago.
It originally showed first-run films, but by the 30s was also screening German-language films, which it continued to do into the early 60s, when it became a second-run house. It once sat up to 1500 patrons in its main auditorium, but in the 80s, the Davis was divided into four screens. After many years of neglect, the Davis was recently refurbished and its stained-glass windows, antique movie posters in the lobby, and old-fashioned vending equipment were retained.
One of its four auditoriums was given over to art and foreign films, and this small auditorium is now called the Davis Art. When threatened a couple years ago with demolition for replacement by a condominium, residents of the neighborhood surrounding the beloved Davis were outraged and protested against the plans vigorously, and the theater was saved.
Sign up to comment.
Sign in if you already did it.
Photo taken in Ravenswood, Chicago, IL, USA
Misplaced? Suggest new location