First Shearith Israel Cemetery - 55-57 St. James Place, NYC - May 2008 . . . . . . . . Used from 1683 to 1828, this graveyard was established by Congregation Shearith Israel, the first Jewish congregation in the United States. It is a National and New York City Landmark. It is only open by appointment.

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (1)

LuciaM on December 16, 2008

This graveyard is part of what remains of the Congregation Shearith Israel, the oldest Jewish congregation in the U.S. (It was actually their second cemetery: the first one, established in 1656, no longer exists.) The Congregation was formed by Spanish & Portuguese immigrants in 1654. Until 1825, it was the only Jewish congregation in NYC.

First Shearith Cemetery is off of Chatham Square in Manhattan, at 55 St. James Place. The cemetery is a National and NYC landmark. It is one of three historic cemeteries in Manhattan owned by Congregation Shearith Israel, now on Central Park West at 70th Street.

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on November 8, 2008
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by LuciaM
    • Camera: Canon EOS D60
    • Taken on 2008/05/07 14:13:33
    • Exposure: 0.011s (1/90)
    • Focal Length: 17.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/9.500
    • ISO Speed: ISO100
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups