Norh-West Caponier, North Centre Bastion, Western Heights, Dover, Kent, UK (1)

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (6)

John Latter on April 2, 2007

(Also see: Satellite view of the North Center Bastion annotated with tunnel system locations, surface features, drawbridges, etc.)

An internal view of half of the North Center Bastion's Caponnier showing the 2nd level slate 'balcony'. The other half is on the far side of the arched center column (left). All entrances are blocked.

As in most internal views, illumination is almost entirely due to the camera's flash.

(Alt: North Centre Bastion)

John Latter on April 23, 2007

This photo shows the interior of this half of the Caponnier from the ground floor.

Standard Info:

See the Satellite view of the North Center Bastion annotated with tunnel system locations, surface features, drawbridges, etc.

The North Center Bastion is only part of Dover's extensive Napoleonic defenses - click on Western Heights and then check the tag list for all the locations covered (eg Drop Redoubt, Grand Shaft, North Entrance - more will be added as time goes on).

Also see St Martin's Battery

John Latter on October 9, 2007

English Heritage Pastscape has the following entry for the North Centre Bastion:

NMR Number: TR 34 SW 514

URL: North Centre Bastion

North Centre Bastion was begun in 1804 during the Napoleonic Wars, as part of the Western Heights fortress in Dover. It remained unfinished at the end of the war in 1815 but was completed to a revised design between 1859 and 1867; this resulted in two linked bastions known as North Centre Bastion and Detached Bastion.

John Latter on December 27, 2007

Click to see photos of the Drop Redoubt's Caponier Number 3 Upper Level and Lower Level.

John Latter on November 12, 2010

The full English Heritage Pastscape entry for the North Centre Bastion and Detached Bastion reads (1):

TR 3110 4083 North Centre and Detached Bastions

North Centre Bastion was begun in 1804 during the Napoleonic Wars, as part of the Western Heights fortress in Dover. It remained unfinished at the end of the war in 1815 but was completed to a revised design between 1859 and 1867; this resulted in two linked bastions known as North Centre Bastion and Detached Bastion (2).

Both were surveyed and researched by the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England between 1998 and 2001 as part of the Dover Western Heights Survey Project (event UID 1316220 and monument UID 467989). See the archive report and plans for full details: Pattison P The Western Heights, Dover, Kent; Report no 5 North Centre and Detached Bastions.

An English Heritage site and Scheduled Monument; the Detached Baastion is also known as "Dead Man's Island".

Photos of the Detached Bastion are included under the North Centre Bastion tag.

(1) Pastscape: North Centre Bastion

(2) The bastions are linked by the South Caponier (see South Caponier interior; South Caponier exterior).

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on April 2, 2007
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by John Latter
    • Camera: PENTAX Corporation PENTAX Optio 33LF
    • Taken on 2007/04/01 09:48:13
    • Exposure: 0.017s (1/60)
    • Focal Length: 5.80mm
    • F/Stop: f/2.600
    • ISO Speed: ISO200
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • Flash fired

Groups