West Gallery Drawbridge Site, Detached Bastion, Western Heights, Dover, Kent, UK

Not selected for Google Earth or Google Maps [?]

Comments (10)

John Latter on April 3, 2007

(Also see: Satellite view of the North Center Bastion annotated with tunnel system locations, surface features, drawbridges, etc.)

A view, looking north to south, of Drawbridge 1's counterweights in the floor of Tunnel 1.

As usual, illumination is provided by the camera flash - the slight angle is due to my not being able to see anything whatsoever through the camera's viewfinder.

A chap called Stan fell into one of the holes years and years ago and had a permanent limp thereafter (if any Dovorians read this, Stan has since passed away ago but he used to be a member of St. Paul's Social Club - just can't think of his surname at the moment).

The image "The Ghost of the North Center Bastion" was taken further up this perfectly straight tunnel looking towards the viewer.

Click to see the drawbridge and underlying pit.

(Alt: North Centre Bastion)

tattieann1 on April 3, 2008

dear john, you have just made my day? 22 years ago when i first moved to dover,some good friends and i found this bastion and had a real good wander around takin in this amazing place,that was untill i fell down one of the holes in this picture and cut my lag open? till this day i have never been back,but have been wanting to show my children,and now thanks to your fantastic pictures i have done this, thankyou its really made my day, oh and i ended with 4 stitches and still have the scar today. thankyou Tania

John Latter on April 3, 2008

tattieann1 said:

dear john, you have just made my day? 22 years ago when i first moved to dover,some good friends and i found this bastion and had a real good wander around takin in this amazing place,that was untill i fell down one of the holes in this picture and cut my lag open? till this day i have never been back,but have been wanting to show my children,and now thanks to your fantastic pictures i have done this, thankyou its really made my day, oh and i ended with 4 stitches and still have the scar today. thankyou Tania

I'm so pleased you like the photos, Tania, and that they've brought back some happy memories for you :)

Also, I'll be taking some more photos of "Dead Man's Island" in the Summer (assuming we have one, that is!) so maybe you can pop back then.

John Latter

tattieann1 on April 5, 2008

hi again, couldnt resist having another look,i have noticed a few conversations regarding the drop redoubt, i took my older kids on one of the guided tours a few years ago,thinking it was where i fell,although we had a good day it was not as impressive as the bastion,and i must say i was a little disapointed,like you said to one person,its all been made safe for jo public,which kind of knocks the fun out of it all? look forward to seeing your (dead mans island)? thankyou tania

John Latter on April 5, 2008

tattieann1 said:

hi again, couldnt resist having another look,i have noticed a few conversations regarding the drop redoubt, i took my older kids on one of the guided tours a few years ago,thinking it was where i fell,although we had a good day it was not as impressive as the bastion,and i must say i was a little disapointed,like you said to one person,its all been made safe for jo public,which kind of knocks the fun out of it all? look forward to seeing your (dead mans island)? thankyou tania

Hi Tania,

I'm hoping to take some videos, too. When the photos/videos have ben uploaded I'll put a 'comment' here and you'll automatically be notified via email.

John Latter

tessg907 on April 29, 2009

do you know if any of the tunnels go underground???

John Latter on April 29, 2009

tessg907 said:

do you know if any of the tunnels go underground???

I'm not sure what you mean, Tess. The tunnels are 'underground', but there is one section where the tunnels come close to the surface, so to speak. This section is between Drawbridge 3 and the second Blue Orb photo and is basically a corridor covered with earth.

John Latter / Jorolat

Part of the Images of Dover website.

John Latter on November 22, 2010

The correct name for Tunnel 1 is the West Gallery

The English Heritage Pastscape entry for the North Centre Bastion and Detached Bastion reads (1):

TR 3110 4083 North Centre and Detached Bastions

North Centre Bastion was begun in 1804 during the Napoleonic Wars, as part of the Western Heights fortress in Dover. It remained unfinished at the end of the war in 1815 but was completed to a revised design between 1859 and 1867; this resulted in two linked bastions known as North Centre Bastion and Detached Bastion (2).

Both were surveyed and researched by the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England between 1998 and 2001 as part of the Dover Western Heights Survey Project (event UID 1316220 and monument UID 467989). See the archive report and plans for full details: Pattison P The Western Heights, Dover, Kent; Report no 5 North Centre and Detached Bastions.

An English Heritage site and Scheduled Monument; the Detached Baastion is also known as "Dead Man's Island".

Photos of the Detached Bastion are included under the North Centre Bastion tag.

(1) Pastscape: North Centre Bastion

(2) The bastions are linked by the South Caponier (see South Caponier interior; South Caponier exterior).

All photos of Dover's 'Forgotten Fortress' can be found under the Western Heights tag which includes the Drop Redoubt, Grand Shaft, North Entrance, Pre-Napoleonic Earthworks, and St Martins Battery.

John Latter on November 22, 2010

John Latter, on April 3, 2007, said:

A chap called Stan fell into one of the holes years and years ago and had a permanent limp thereafter (if any Dovorians read this, Stan has since passed away ago but he used to be a member of St. Paul's Social Club - just can't think of his surname at the moment).

His name was Stanley Newman (Stan Newman); the club we belonged to is shown in the St Paul`s Roman Catholic Church and Social Club, Dover photo.

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on April 2, 2007
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by John Latter
    • Camera: PENTAX Corporation PENTAX Optio 33LF
    • Taken on 2007/04/01 09:45:26
    • Exposure: 0.017s (1/60)
    • Focal Length: 5.80mm
    • F/Stop: f/2.600
    • ISO Speed: ISO200
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • Flash fired

Groups