Start of a 5 mile circular walk in March 2008 and the next 12 shots show some of the scenes.
The Grade 2 Bratch Pumping Station at Wombourne is one of only 50 remaining steam pumping stations in England. Built in 1895 by Bilston Corporation, it comprises a wonderful Gothic style “fairy castle” pump house, within which are two huge vertical triple expansion steam engines. These were used for 65 years to raise pure drinking water from deep boreholes, and pump it to a purpose built reservoir in Wolverhampton.
The steam engines were replaced by electric pumps in 1960, and fell into disrepair, but in 1991 Severn Trent Water commissioned a major refurbishment of the building and of one of the engines, Victoria. The restoration to full working order was undertaken over a period of 5 years by the well-known Wolverhampton steam engineer Len Crane, together with a small team of enthusiasts.
Start or a walk from Bratch Locks (13 photos)
Hi Peter!This Pumping Station bulding is like 15century castle!
This building was built in Victorian Times (roughly 1837-1901). There was a trend to build in a magnificent style, even these pumping stations.
Another can be seen here
Amazing looking places!
Another example of the architecture can be seen here in St. Pancras Station
All the best Peter
Sign up to comment.
Sign in if you already did it.
Photo taken in Wombourne, Staffordshire, UK
Misplaced? Suggest new location