Construction of the Original bridge known then as Grand Canyon Bridge began in June of 1927.
On January 12, 1929, the bridge was opened to traffic. At the time, it was the highest steel arch bridge in the world and made traveling between Utah and Arizona much easier.
The bridge was known as the Grand Canyon Bridge for five years following its dedication on June 14-15, 1929. In 1934 the official name was changed to Navajo Bridge.