Barboi Church (1615) by night

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Bărboi church was built between 1841-1843, the foundation of a church dating from 1615 (Holy Friday) built by John Bear Barboi. Byzantine inside of the church was built of stone and brick. The porch , supported by Doric columns is done in classical style, while the tower elements present neo-Gothic Romance. Because of its shape and dimensions, the Barboi Church is Moldovan line of similar buildings on Mount Athos. Main entrance is marked by an imposing portal claimed on 6 stone columns with Doric capiteluri. The church has a central tower with large opening that develops a square. Central tower is framed by 4 towers with opening much smaller and have octagonal bases. The exterior of the church is composed of an Alternate blocks of stone and waist string of brick. The interior of the church is spacious and composed of 3 ship a central and 2 side separated by marble columns of Carrara and they have to the top cap in Corinthian style. In this church have their tomb, along Ioan Sandu Sturdza, the native prince of Moldavia of 1822, and other important members of family Sturza. All in the church, in a niche in the southern wall were submitted the poet Alecu Russo . There was a deacon Ion Creanga ( a great Romanian author) between 1863 and 1865. In turn found the library of a medieval writer Costache Conachi.

Biserica Bărboi a fost construită între anii 1841-1843, pe fundaţia unei biserici datând din 1615 (Sfânta Vineri) construită de vornicul Ioan Ursu Barboi. Interiorul bizantin al bisericii a fost construit din piatră şi cărămidă. Porticul, susţinut de coloane dorice este realizat în stil clasic, în timp ce turla prezintă elemente romanice neogotice. Datorită formei şi dimensiunilor ei, Biserica Bărboi este replica moldovenească a unor edificii similare de pe Muntele Athos. Intrarea principală este marcată de un portal impozant susţinut pe 6 coloane din piatră cu capiteluri dorice. Biserica are o turlă centrală cu deschidere mare ce se dezvoltă pe o bază pătrată. Turla centrală este încadrată de 4 turle cu deschidere mult mai mică şi care au baze octagonale. Parametrul exterior al bisericii este compus dintr-o alternanţă de blocuri de piatră de talie şi şiruri de carămidă. Interiorul bisericii spaţios este compus din 3 nave una centrală şi 2 laterale desparţite prin coloane de marmură de Carara care au la partea superioară capiteluri în stil Corintic. În această biserică îşi au mormântul, pe lânga Ioan Sandu Sturdza, primul domn pamântean din 1822, şi alţi membri importanţi ai familiei Sturza. Tot în biserică într-o nişă în peretele sudic au fost depuse osemintele poetului Alecu Russo, cel ce a scris poemul "Cântarea României". Tot aici a fost diacon şi a locuit în casa parohială Ion Creangă între anii 1863 şi 1865. În turn a fost găsită biblioteca scriitorului Costache Conachi.

Show more
Show less
Save Cancel Want to use bold, italic, links?

Comments (62)

Argenna on April 19

Many thanks for your visit and nice comment Xpeditor. Have a nice day, Argenna.

Multumesc, Luky99ful. Toate cele bune.

Buts Yuri on April 20

Wonderful night shot and view! like ! Greetings from Ukraine, Yuri.

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on December 25, 2008
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by Argenna
    • Camera: OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP. FE270,X815,C510
    • Taken on 2008/12/23 18:57:46
    • Exposure: 0.033s (1/30)
    • Focal Length: 6.30mm
    • F/Stop: f/3.100
    • ISO Speed: ISO500
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • Flash fired

Groups