The Glass Orb, Gun Room, North Centre Bastion, Western Heights, Dover, Kent, UK

Not selected for Google Earth or Google Maps [?]

Comments (4)

John Latter on April 19, 2007

A view taken inside the first gun-room of the Tunnel 3 system showing a side-room (left) and the Tunnel 3 doorway leading back to the T2/3/4 junction (see satellite map below).

This gun-room covers the moat (the one on the northern side of the tenaille) down towards Bridge 1 of the North Entrance to the Western Heights fortifications.

Behind the viewer is an exit leading to other interesting features which include the Sub-tunnel and the Second Well Shaft (which has zillions of environmental orbs).

Image taken on the 'Second Expedition', April 18th, 2007.

Standard Info:

See the Satellite view of the North Center Bastion annotated with tunnel system locations, surface features, drawbridges, etc.

The North Center Bastion is only part of Dover's extensive Napoleonic defenses - click on Western Heights and then check the tag list for all the locations covered (eg Drop Redoubt, Grand Shaft, North Entrance - more will be added as time goes on).

Also see St Martin's Battery

John Latter on April 21, 2007

Note the 'glass orb' which appears to be lying on the side-room floor (there was nothing there in reality).

Orbs appear on quite a few of these tunnel photos, among the ones I find most interesting are:

Blue Orb 1 and Blue Orb 2 - not forgetting the 'Ghost' picture!

John Latter on November 12, 2010

The English Heritage Pastscape entry for the North Centre Bastion and Detached Bastion reads (1):

TR 3110 4083 North Centre and Detached Bastions

North Centre Bastion was begun in 1804 during the Napoleonic Wars, as part of the Western Heights fortress in Dover. It remained unfinished at the end of the war in 1815 but was completed to a revised design between 1859 and 1867; this resulted in two linked bastions known as North Centre Bastion and Detached Bastion (2).

Both were surveyed and researched by the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England between 1998 and 2001 as part of the Dover Western Heights Survey Project (event UID 1316220 and monument UID 467989). See the archive report and plans for full details: Pattison P The Western Heights, Dover, Kent; Report no 5 North Centre and Detached Bastions.

An English Heritage site and Scheduled Monument; the Detached Baastion is also known as "Dead Man's Island".

Photos of the Detached Bastion are included under the North Centre Bastion tag.

(1) Pastscape: North Centre Bastion

(2) The bastions are linked by the South Caponier (see South Caponier interior; South Caponier exterior).

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on April 19, 2007
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by John Latter
    • Camera: PENTAX Corporation PENTAX Optio 33LF
    • Taken on 2007/04/18 10:53:29
    • Exposure: 0.017s (1/60)
    • Focal Length: 5.80mm
    • F/Stop: f/2.600
    • ISO Speed: ISO200
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • Flash fired

Groups