Çankırı Province is located on the northern edge of Turkey’s Central Anatolia Region, on the border of the western Black Sea Region. It is bordered by Ankara and Kırıkkale to the south, by Bolu to the west, by Kastamonu and Karabük to the north, and by Çorum to the east.
Although Çankırı has been continuously inhabited since Neolithic times, numerous earthquakes have inflicted heavy damage on historical remnants.
However, Çankırı is a beautiful place in which to enjoy nature, away from distressing city life.
Çankırı’s majestic, snowy mountains have been the subjects of poems, and its forests cover nearly one third of its area.
Its plateaus are suitable for camping, caravaning, walking, horseback riding, bike riding, photography, and hunting.
It also has thermal mineral springs, centuries-old culture, and warm, hospitable people.
SHORT HISTORY OF THE PROVINCE
Archeological information about Çankırı is derived from tumuli and river banks, since no extensive excavations have been done. Settlement dates to the Neolithic Age (7000-5000 BC). Bronze Age settlements (3000-2000 BC) are encountered all over the province, especially along the Kızılırmak River.
Finds from the İnandık tumulus include a Hittite vase and a charity receipt in cuneiform writing, clearly showing Hittite habitation between 2000-1200 BC.
Çankırı was ruled first by Phrygia, then by the Kimmerians, and later by the Persians during the first millennium BC.
The Persian rule was brought to an end with the conquest of Anatolia by Alexander the Great in 330 BC.
In the first century BC, Çankırı became part of the Roman Empire with the name of Germanikopolis. During this period, Ilgaz (Olgasaya) and Çerkeş (Antinopolis) were also settled. During the Byzantine period, Christians lived in the province.
After the Seljuks defeated the Byzantines at the battle of Malazgirt on August 26, 1071, Turks began to settle in Anatolia.
In 1074, Çankırı was conquered by Emir Karatekin Bey, one of the commanders of the Great Seljuks Sultan, Sultan Alparslan, and has remained a homeland of Turks since then.
The province was called Germanikopolis and Gangra during the Byzantine Age, and was later named Kengri. With the establishment of the Republic of Turkey, its name was changed to Çankırı.
Sign up to comment.
Sign in if you already did it.
Photo taken in Çankırı, Çankırı, Turkey
Misplaced? Suggest new location